CHURCH MISSIONARY SOCIETY ARCHIVE
Section IV: Africa Missions
Part 13: West Africa (Sierra Leone), 1935-1949, and Nigeria Missions, 1935-1949
This continues our coverage of the West Africa (Sierra Leone) Mission with papers for 1935-1949. The material is divided into General, Diocese, Education and Medical papers.
- There are detailed letters exchanged between Bishop Horstead in Freetown and H D Hooper (Secretary of CMS).
- The progress of Fourah Bay College and proposals for its expansion are well covered, including deliberations of the Africa Committee, the College Advisory Committee, CMS and the Secretary of State.There is also significant material on the Annie Walsh Memorial School.
- Executive Committee Minutes, material on the Wilberforce Training College in Freetown, the Union Teacher Training College at Bunumbu and the Princess Christian Memorial Hospital, as well as significant Diocesan correspondence, provide further rich information for researchers to explore.
This Part also contains papers for all the Nigeria Missions for 1935-1949. Again, this material is divided into General, Dioceses, Education and Medical papers.
- There is correspondence and other records for the Christian Council of Nigeria, Executive and other Committee papers for the Yoruba Mission and the Northern Nigeria Mission, as well as important papers for the Diocese on the Niger.
- Education papers for Nigeria focus on Abeokuta Industrial Institute, Ado Ekiti Christ’s School, the Akwe Girls’ Training Centre, Benin City Girls’ School, Ibadan Immanuel College, St Anne’s School, the United Missionary College in Ibadan, Ijebu Ode Girls’ School, Lagos Girls’ School, the CMS Grammar School in Lagos, the various CMS bookshops, the colleges in Owo and Oyo, as well as the Asaba Rural Training Centre, St Monica’s School at Ogbunike, Trinity College and Obanelu Women’s Training College in Umuahia and Zaria Wusasa School in the north.
- There are lots of significant medical papers for Nigeria in this period including the hospital at Ado Ekiti opened in 1936, the Oji River Leprosy Centre, the Iyi-Enu Medical Mission, the Zaria Leper Colony and the Wusasa Hospital at the Zaria Medical Mission.