CHURCH MISSIONARY SOCIETY ARCHIVE
Section V: Missions to the Americas
Part 4: British Columbia, 1856-1925
East Asia (Group 1) Missions Vol 1 Canada Catalogue, pp 88-102. Please note that the early Letter Books and Mission Books for this mission are entered in the corresponding volumes for North-West Canada.
C C 2 O 1: Original Papers - Correspondence with Bishops
Diocese of British Columbia, George Hills 1862-1877
The Original Papers include letters, journals and annual letters sent to the Secretary in London. Included are: statistics of Indian tribes of the Pacific Coast – number of men, women and children and language; account of the Bishop’s visit to Metlakatla Mission where he examined 100 catechists; printed report of the first synod of the Diocese of British Columbia, 1875.
C C 2 O 2: Original Papers - Correspondence with Bishops
Diocese of Athabasca, William Carpenter Bompas, 1877-1878
Letter on his arrival at Metlakatla and his first impressions, 1877; narrative of a journey to Metlakatla in the winter of 1877; report of a visit to Kincolith and Metlakatla in February 1878; account of Christmas at Metlakatla, 1877.
C C 2 O 3: Original Papers - Corrrespondence with Bishops
Diocese of Caledonia, William Ridley, 1879-1880
Letter on his arrival and his first impressions of Metlakatla; report on a month’s journey into the interior; letter re William Duncan and Robert Tomlinson.
C C 2 O 4: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others,
Rev William Henry Collison, Metlakatla, 1873-1880
Letter about his journey and arrival at Metlakatla; report on a journey from Metlakatla to Massett, Queen Victoria Islands, 1876; specimens of the Hydah and Tsimshian languages; newspaper cutting of Lord Duffrin’s visit to the Queen Charlotte Islands, 1876; Annual Letters for 1876, 1880; petition from Christians at Metlakatla requesting that Mr and Mrs Colinson should not be moved to another station,1876.
C C 2 O 5: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others,
Very Rev Edward Cridge, Dean of Christ Church Cathedral, Victoria, 1861, 1866-1875
Report on a visit to Metlakatla, 1867; letter to William Duncan giving his reasons for leaving the Church of England and joining the Reformed Episcopal Church, 1875; printed account of the trial of the Very Rev Edward Cridge, 1875.
C C 2 O 6: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
Robert Cunningham, Nass River, 1862-1866
Journal of voyage out to Canada, 1862; letters, 1863 and 1866.
C C 2 O 7: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
Rev Robert Reid Arthur Doolan, Metlakatla and Nass River, 1864-1867
News cuttings re the sale of alcohol to the Indians, 1866; copy of the minutes of the Committee meeting held in Metlakatla, 1866; abstract of his journal for 1 May – 30 Sept 1865; printed journal for 1 October 1865 – 31 March 1866; diary for April 1866 – 30 June 1866; journal for 27 Sept 1866 – December 1866
C C 2 O 8: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
William Duncan, Fort Simpson and Metlakatla, 1856-1879
Letter to the Governor of British Columbia, 1865; minute of committee meetings held at Metlakatla, 1867 re Mr Own’s case; letter to the Governor of British Columbia requesting the possibility of divorce being allowed amongst Indians, 1867; letters from Paul Leegaio, 1868-1869; printed report of the British Columbia government on Indian Reserves, 1875; address from Christians at Metlakatla urging the Bishop to be reconciled with Dean Cridge, 1877; newspaper cutting on the Governor – General’s visit to British Columbia, 1876; journals for 1856-1861, including his account of his first visit to the Kee-thrahtlah Indians, 1860; Annual Letters for 1868-1869, 1871, 1873-1876, 1878-1879.
C C 2 O 9: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
Rev Frank Barrow Gribbell, Victoria, 1866
Newspaper cuttings re Metlakatla, 1866; medical certificates for Mrs Gribbell.
C C 2 O 10: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
Mrs Lise Gribbell, Victoria, 1866
Letters to Mrs Gribbell from Isabella Keith and Margaret, two Indian women.
C C 2 O 11: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
Rev Alfred James Hall, Metlakatla and Fort Rupert, 1877-1879
Letter after his arrival and his work of three months, 1877; a printed copy of The Primary Manual of the Fort Rupert CMS Mission, 1879; letter after two years at Fort Rupert including two visits made to the "neighbouring heathen tribes"; letter re the traffic in liquor with Indians at Metlakatla and Fort Rupert, 1880; account of the first few months in Metlakatla, 1878; Annual Letter for 1878.
C C 2 O 12: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
Henry B Owen, Victoria, 1867-1868
Letter re difficulties of working with William Duncan, 1867; accounts; letter from Paul Leegaio, 1868 and to Dean Cridge, 1868.
C C 2 O 13: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
Captain James C Prevost, Vancouver Island, 1857-1879
Letter from William Banfield, Indian agent re the Indians at Ohiat, Barclay Sound, 1859.
C C 2 O 14: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
Henry Schutt, Metlakatla, 1876-1879
Letters for 1876-1877, 1879; Annual Letters for 1876-1879.
C C 2 O 15: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
George Edward Sneath, Masset, 1879-1880
Annual Letter for 1880.
C C 2 O 16: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
Rev Robert Tomlinson, Kincolith and Ankihtlast, 1867-1880
Letter applying for a site for the mission buildings and reserve, 1869; an account of a whisky woman; account of work among the Kitiksheans, 1875; statement by Rev Tomlinson in reference to the withdrawal of his licence by Bishop Hills, 1877; extracts of the diary for 1867-1868; tour among the tribes on the Nass and Skeenia Rivers., 1874; First to Third Annual Reports of the Kincolith Mission Hospital, 1871-1874; Annual Letters for 1868-1870, 1872-1876, 1878-1879; sketch map of the Pacific Coast showing Fort Simpson, Metlakatla, Kincolith and Indian settlements along the Skeena and Nass rivers.
C C 2 O 17: Original Papers - Letters, Journals and Papers of missionaries and others
Rev Lewen Street Tugwell, Fort Simpson, 1860-1862
Letters, 1860-1862; journal extracts for 1860-1861.
G 1 C 2 L 1: Letter Book, 1881-1888
Letter to David Leask and other native Christian Brethren at Metlakatla re the division between the native Christians, 1883; instructions to new missionaries; letter to William Duncan at Metlakatla re the extent of the government reserve at Metlakatla.
G 1 C 2 L 2: Letter Book, 1888-1905
Instructions to new missionaries; resolutions regarding the administration of the mission.
G 1 C 2 L 3: Letter Book, 1905-1922, 1925
Instructions to missionaries.
G 1 C 2 O: Original Papers, 1881-1882
1881 Annual Letters from Robert Tomlinson, 1881; W Collison, 1881; Henry Schutt, 1881; Alfred J Hall, Fort Rupert; Mr Duncan, 1881; report of the first conference of missionaries of the North Pacific mission, 1881 with details on the individual missions; report of the Ankihttast mission since the return of Rev Tomlinson. 1882 Memo on events at Metlakatla, 1881; a report on a visit to Fort Rupert and other tribes, Jan 1882, Alert Bay by Alfred J Hall; report of the second annual conference of missionaries of the North Pacific Mission, 1882; letters re Mr Duncan’s behaviour in inciting the people against the Bishop.
G 1 C 2 O: Original Papers, 1883-1884
1883: Report of a meeting of chiefs and Indians at Metlakatla, 1882; an account of the destruction of the mission building at Metlakatla; newspaper cuttings relating to the situation in Metlakatla, 1883; letter from native women complaining about the departure of Mr Duncan; proceedings of the third annual conference of the missionaries of the North Pacific Mission, 1883; newspaper cuttings re the resignation of the Bishop of British Columbia.
1884: Copy of Dr Powell’s address to the Tsimpsean Indians at Metlakatla, 1884; diary kept by A J Hall 17 August-30 December 1883; news cuttings re the trouble with the Indians at Metlakatla; copy of the minutes of the fourth annual conference of missionaries of the North Pacific Mission, 1884; photos taken in the Queen Charlotte Islands by Mr Maynard.
G 1 C 2 O: Original Papers, 1885-1888
- 1885: Newspaper cuttings re the Commissioner’ s report on the Metlakatla problem, 1885; report by C Harrison on the work at Massett, 1885; letter from Matthew Auckland, native Timpshean regarding his stand with the Bishop against Mr Duncan; minutes of the Nass River Station, 1885; minutes of the conference of the North Pacific Mission held at Metlakatla, 1885 with a report on the Metlakatla Mission; sketch map of Ari-yaush; report on the Indians in Alert Bay.
- 1886: Letter from Mr Duncan re the problems at Metlakatla, 1886; statistical returns of the North Pacific Mission, 1886; list of expenditure for building the mission house at Massett; account of work among the Zaguills, Alert Bay, 1885-1886 by A E Price; account of work in Metlakatla, 1886; annual report of the North Pacific Mission, 1885; discussion on missionary salaries; newspaper cutting on the refusal of the Indians in Metlakatla to allow surveying of the Indian reserves.
- 1887: Newspaper cutting on the problems with the Tsimpsean Indians; extract from Rev C B Nash’s Annual Letter, 1886; copy of the minutes of the seventh annual missionary conference; annual report of the North Pacific Missions, 1886-1887; copy of "The Diocesan and Parish Magazine", October 1887.
- 1888: Extracts from Rev J Field’s Annual Letter, 1888; printed report of the commission on the state and condition of the Indians of the North West Coast of British Columbia; minutes of the eighth annual conference of missionaries.
G 1 C 2 O: Original Papers, 1889-1896
- 1889: Diary of Albert J Hall during his journey made to the Indians south of Alert Bay, 1889; statistics of the North Pacific Mission showing the number of native lay teachers, native catechists, scholars and number of baptisms.
- 1890: Report on a missionary tour by Dr Ardagh and R W Gurd to Kithatla, 1889; a copy of "The Metlakahtlan", January 1890; proceedings of the British Medical Council; first impressions of Massett by J H Keen, 1890
- 1891: Proceedings of the annual conference of the North Pacific Mission; photograph of the CMS Church at Massett,
- 1892: Proceedings of the twelfth annual conference of the North Pacific Mission; report for the mission, 1891-1892.
- 1893: Statement of receipts and expenditure for the building of Christ Church Mission Church.
- 1894: Proceedings of the fourteenth annual conference of the North Pacific Mission.
- 1895 - 1896: Letters and reports from missionaries.
G 1 C 2 O: Original Papers , 1897-1904
- 1897: Letters and reports from missionaries.
- 1898: Minutes of CMS Conference, Kincolith.
- 1899: Letters from Indian Chiefs complaining that Bishop Ridley had only visited Massett twice in 50 years.
- 1900: Letter by Rev G F S re Dr Ardaghi’s treatment of patients and Miss Beeching’s suitability for missionary work; minutes of the CMS Conference, 1899; letter from Indians on the reserve at Hazelton to the Superintendent of General Indian Affairs, Ottawa re the Indian Agent and Rev Field.
- 1901: Minutes of the CMS Conference; news cutting about the fire at the mission house at Metlakatla.
- 1902: Minutes of the CMS Conference with reports on the CMS stations by A J Hall; letter from the Chiefs and Indians re the retirement of the bishop and their wish to have Archdeacon Collison as the new bishop; news cutting re the work among the Indians on Vancouver Island written by the Bishop of Columbia.
- 1903: Photograph of the Girls’ Home at Metlakatla; CMS Conference report.
- 1904: Letters re Miss Edwards’ suitability as a teacher at the Girls’ School, Metlakatla; extracts from the CMS conference held at Victoria; letter re a visit to the salmon canneries at Rivers Inlet by A J Hall.
G 1 C 2 O: Original Papers, 1905-1912
- 1905: Report on visits to the mission stations by the Bishop of Caledonia; report on the Tahl-Fan Indians at Stricken River Mission; minutes of the CMS Board held at Metlakatla.
- 1906: Report of the Columbia Coast Mission; report by A J Hall on a visit by the Governor General.
- 1907: Letters and reports by missionaries.
- 1908: Printed report on the Indian Schools of Manitoba and the North West Territories by the Chief Medical Officer of the Department of Indian Affairs; report on the Industrial School at Alert Bay by A W Corker, the Principal; news cutting from "The Empire" on the proceedings of the Third Synod of the diocese of Caledonia.
- 1909: Letters and reports from the missionaries.
- 1910: Issue of The British Columbia Church Aid Society; report on the fire at Aiyansh Mission.
- 1911: Newscuttings from The Empire regarding Bishop du Vernet’s reaction to intemperance among the Indians; journal of the Aiyansh Mission, Nass River, September 1910-March 1911 by James B McCullagh; minutes of the CMS Board meeting.
- 1912: Minutes of the CMS Board with a financial statement; photograph of the children at the Girls’ Home at Alert Bay and of the new mission house at Aiyansh.
G 1 C 2 O: Original Papers, 1913-1925
- 1913: Letter from the new superintendent of the new Girls’ Home, Alert Bay by A W Corker; minutes of the meeting of the CMS Board at Metlakatla; leaflet of The Friends of the Indians of British Columbia.
- 1914: Copy of the Journal of the Fourteenth Synod in the Diocese of British Columbia with the statistics for the year; minutes of the CMS Board meeting at Prince Rupert.
- 1915: Requests for furloughs; letters re sickness and death of missionaries.
- 1916: Medical certificates for missionaries and furlough requests.
- 1917: Reports on the work of Rev Albert Price on the Queen Charlotte Islands
- 1918: Copies of The North British Columbia News reporting on the floods at Aiyansh; photographs of the floods at Aiyansh and of an Indian wedding feast; report of "The Friends of the Indians of British Columbia"; minutes of the CMS Board meeting at Prince Rupert; report on the Alert Bay Mission; the Book of Common Prayer translated into Niefa; newspaper cutting on the death of Rev J Field.
- 1919: Minutes of the CMS Board meeting at Prince Rupert.
- 1920: Letters from missionaries requesting furloughs; newspaper cutting on Canadian Indians who fought in WW I – 35% of them enlisted; letter re Rev A Price’s nervous breakdon.
- 1921: Newspaper cutting containing a tribute to Rev McCullagh who had served for 37 years at Aiyansh.
- 1922: Description of the funeral of the Venerable W H Collison, Arch Deacon.
- 1923: Please note that no papers could be found for this year.
- 1924: News of the death of the Archbishop of Caledonia.
- 1925: News of the retirement of Rev Corker.
G 1 C 2 P 1: Precis Book, 1881-1892
The Precis Book consists of a printed precis of the papers sent to London with the date, writer, date received, summary of contents, proposals for committee action to be taken and/or the secretary’s remarks. Topics included are confidential and personal letters from the missionaries; news on the mission stations; receipt of Annual Letters and journals; reports of conferences; notes on mission affairs and mission buildings; accounts of visits by the Bishop; minutes of the Mission Board.
G 1 C 2 P 2: Precis Book, 1892-1922, 1924-1925
The Precis Book consists of a printed precis of the papers sent to London with the date, writer, date received, summary of contents, proposals for committee action to be taken and/or the secretary’s remarks.