Complete classes from the CAB & PREM series in the Public Record Office
Series Three: CAB 128 & CAB 129 - Cabinet Conclusions & Cabinet Memoranda, 1945 and following
Part 2: The Attlee Government, August 1945 - October 1951
(CAB 128/14-22 & CAB 129/21-47)
- Part 2 completes the coverage of the complete minutes (CAB 128) and memoranda (CAB 129) for the Attlee administration.
- Scholars can assess the impact of the balance of payments crisis in the summer of 1947 and the policy of consolidation from 1948 onwards.
- There is much detail on the economic problems facing the Labour Government and the growing factionalism amongst senior ministers and within the Parliamentary Labour Party.
- Researchers can explore whether Labour’s sweeping reforms had a beneficial effect on the post-war structure of British society.
- These papers are also important for assessing Britain’s role and international standing in the post-war world.