FOREIGN OFFICE FILES FOR CHINA, 1949-1976
(Public Record Office Classes FO 371 and FCO 21)
Part 3: Complete Files for 1951 (PRO Class FO 371/92188-92395)
Part 3 provides a complete run of files for 1951. This material provides fascinating evidence on Mao Zedong’s Communist Government and shows the resilience of China as an emerging global superpower. Topics covered include:
- The Korean War.
- Events in Formosa (Taiwan).
- The Chinese Communist threat to Hong Kong.
- Chinese anti-Western propaganda.
- United Nations and the imposition of political and economic sanctions.
- International trade relations.
- The Chinese economy.
- Chinese military machinations.
- Movements of foreign nationals and organisations.
These British files offer researchers an interesting insight into differences between British and American policy on China in this period. These materials both complement and add significantly to US State Department documents on China.