FOREIGN OFFICE FILES FOR JAPAN AND THE FAR EAST
Series Two: British Foreign Office Files for Post-War Japan, 1952-1980
(Public Record Office Classes FO 371 and FCO 21)
Part 2: Complete Files for 1954-1956
(PRO Class FO 371/110400-110530, 115220-115306 & 121030-121101)
Part 2 covers files for 1954-1956, a period of rapid economic growth and development for Japan, which also saw her entry into GATT and the United Nations. Subjects covered in Part 2 include:
- Revision of the Constitution of Japan.
- Tariff negotiations with Japan under GATT.
- The Bikini atom-bomb explosion: waves of anti-American feeling in Japan and claims for compensation.
- Land reform in Japan.
- Mutual Security Aid Treaty signed by US and Japan.
- Agreement on status of UN Forces in Japan.
- The economic and political situation in Japan.
- Political parties in Japan.
- Labour conditions and trade unions in Japan.
- Resumption of diplomatic relations between Japan and the Soviet Union.
- Sales of aircraft and aeroplane engines to Japan.
- Reform of the Supreme Court in Japan.
- The national population census in Japan.