MASCULINITY, 1560-1918: MEN DEFINING MEN AND GENTLEMEN
Part 1: 1600-1800, Sources from the Bodleian Library, Oxford
Part 1 of this project makes available 61 core texts and a host of ephemera concerning concepts of Masculinity in the 17th and 18th centuries. We feature:
- Hundreds of ballads and poems on knaves, cuckholds, gallants and dandies.
- Material contrasting ideals of masculinity in Britain, France, Germany and Switzerland.
- Writings on chivalry, civility and good-breeding, which reflect both gender and class assumptions.
- Important texts describing the education of boys and life at public schools.
- Discussions concerning trade and the professions and manliness and effeminacy.