MASCULINITY, 1560-1918: MEN DEFINING MEN AND GENTLEMEN
Part 3: 1800-1918, Sources from the Bodleian Library, Oxford
This third part brings together substantial runs of 8 leading periodicals aimed at boys and issued between 1855 and 1920. These include:
- Every Boy's Stories, 1860;
- Boy's Own Journal, 1856;
- Boy's Own Magazine, 1855-56, 1861-62, 1869, 1875;
- Every Boy's Magazine, 1863, 1869, 1875-77, 1885-88;
- Empire Annual for Boys, 1909-1920;
- Boy's Own Paper, 1884-85, 1891-92, 1899-1901, 1913-16, 1918-1920;
- Young England, 1862-1865;
- Chatterbox, 1877, 1902, 1914.
These tell us a great deal about peer pressure, hero worship, the role of evangelism, racial attitudes, class, and the strong connections between Empire, adventure and masculinity. Sample issues combine features on natural history, exotic travel, weapons of war, brief biographies of famous men, and short stories.