THE POLICE GAZETTE
Part 4: Issues for 1811-1827 from Somerset Record Office and for 1848-1856 from Durham Record Office
The Police Gazette is an outstanding resource for all those interested in:
- Exploring the criminal underworld of Georgian England.
- Understanding the truth behind the depictions of London by Fielding.
- The social history of crime and policing.
- The values placed on personal possessions.
- Genealogy - there are extensive lists of criminals, army deserters (who may have changed identity), missing persons and those sent to Australia.
Part 4 offers issues for a further 17 years from the early part of the journal's history and means that we can now offer coverage of 79 years in total from 1797-1840 and 1866-1900. This represents coverage of 61% of the total run from 1772 to 1900.