Part 2: Papers of the Ladies' Society for Female Education in Africa and India, 1878-1904, from the National Library of Scotland
This project makes available the complete surviving letter-books of The Ladies’ Society for Female Education in Africa and India for the period from 1878 to 1904.
These provide insights into:
- the lives of women missionaries in the field.
- the use of education as a tool for evangelisation.
- fund-raising efforts in Scotland to support the missionaries.
- Women's lives in Africa and India.
- The part played by missionaries in the great imperial project - were they supportive or subversive?