CHURCH MISSIONARY SOCIETY ARCHIVE
Section IV: Africa Missions
Part 22: Uganda, 1898-1934
Part 22 completes the Uganda Mission papers up to 1934 with Original Papers, 1910-1934 and Précis Books, 1898-1935. There is good material on:
- The work at Mengo hospital of J H Cook (later CMS Medical Secretary) and his brother Albert Cook and his wife – especially in the field of medical training.
- Budo King’s School for Boys and Gayaza High School for Girls, both founded in 1905 and staffed by CMS missionaries.
- The Kavirondo Local Missionary Committee.
- The Kigeyi High School and the Mbarara Girls’ Boarding School.
- The Native Anglican Church of Uganda.
- The Revival Movement of the 1930s which quickly spread from Rwanda to Uganda in the 1930s.
Central to this period is the Phelps-Stokes Commission and its report on Education in East Africa, 1924. Here we have lots of reports on education in Uganda, including Bishop Tucker Memorial College in Mukono, the thoughts of Rev G T Manley on Industrial Training and the teaching of Swahili in elementary schools by Henry Streicher.
- There is the review of work in the Uganda Mission carried out by
Archdeacon G K Baskerville and Dr Albert Cook in 1916 and a pamphlet on The Policy of the Uganda Mission.
- There are papers on Mukono Theological College, founded in 1913. J C Jones in the late 1930s and J V Taylor (later CMS General Secretary) in the 1940s were outstanding members of staff.
“The history of mission churches in Africa has become one of the hottest topics in African Studies. Debate about the relative importance of missionary innovation and African agency has become a prime area of historiographical combat.”
Professor Terry Ranger,
Honorary Research Fellow, The Oxford Centre for Mission Studies and former Rhodes Professor of Race Relations at the University of Oxford