MASCULINITY, 1560-1918: MEN DEFINING MEN AND GENTLEMEN
Part 2: 1800-1918, Sources from the Bodleian Library, Oxford
Part 2, selected by John Tosh, offers over 125 titles describing the changing emphasis placed on different aspects of Masculinity in the 19th and early 20th centuries. There are:
- Sermons and homilies on manliness.
- Writings promoting the gospel of self-help and on the working man..
- Educational texts and accounts of school life at Eton, Harrow, Rugby and other schools.
- Advice Books for boys and young men, and rules for gentlemen.
- Writings on the family and domestic life.
- Accounts of male fashion and etiquette.
- Books on morality and sexual purity aimed at men.
- Much on sport and health, including boxing, rugby, golf and cricket.
- Descriptions of heroes from Baden-Powell to Kitchener.